Spaghetti Squash Lasagna with Broccolini
Slightly adapted from eatingwell.com
Makes 5 servings
1 ounce protein
3/5 fat serving
2 ½ condiments
• 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded – use 5 ½ cups cooked squash
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cups broccolini, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 ¼ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
• 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
• 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400°F oven until the squash is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add broccolini, garlic and red pepper (if using); cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add water and cook, stirring, until the broccolini is tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the bowl. Place the shells in a broiler-safe baking pan or on a baking sheet. Stir 3/4 cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into the squash mixture. Divide it between the shells; top with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack, turn the broiler to high and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes.