Slightly modified from gimmiesomeoven.com
Makes 7 servings
1 Lean protein
- 3 1/4lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup beef broth or water
This barbacoa recipe is simple to make in your slow cooker, and makes the most tender, flavorful, delicious barbacoa beef.
PREP: 10 MIN COOK: 4 HOURS 10 MIN TOTAL: 4 HOURS 20 MIN
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker. Toss gently to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender and falls apart easily when shredded with a fork.
Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces inside of the slow cooker. Toss the beef with the juices, then cover and let the barbacoa beef soak up the juices for an extra 10 minutes. Remove cover and use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa beef.
If not using immediately, refrigerate the barbacoa beef with its juices in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.