Beef Paprika Goulash
1 lean protein
2 ½ vegetables
- 2lb 4oz braising steak (ideally chuck steak)
- 10 sprays non-stick pan spray
- 1 cup sliced green spring onion
- 1 1/2 tsp hot, smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red and 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into roughly 1in chunks
- ½ teaspoon Flaked sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Trim any hard fat from the beef and cut the meat into chunks. Season well with salt and black pepper.
Heat the spray in a large ovenproof casserole. Add the steak and fry over a high heat until lightly browned, turning every now and then. Tip the onions into the pan and cook with the beef for a few seconds.
Sprinkle both paprikas over the meat and crumble the beef stock cube on top. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper, stir well and bring to a simmer.
Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 hour. Carefully remove the casserole from the oven. Stir in the peppers, replace the lid and cook for a further hour or until the beef is tender. Garnish with the parsley before serving, if you choose.