Makes 8 servings
¼ ounce of protein
- 3 tbsp light butter (I used Land O Lakes)
- 1 cup finely chopped green spring onion
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 lbs (3 16-oz packages) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat Swiss Gruyere cheese (I used Sargento)
In a heavy-bottomed saute pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 – 12 minutes.
Add the crackers and nutmeg; cook 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 – 7 minutes.
Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste, with salt and pepper
Transfer the spinach to a large baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the Swiss cheese on top.
Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot. Makes a little over 6 1/2 cups.