Spicy Yogurt Chicken Skewers
Slightly adapted from chow.com
Makes 8 servings
1/2 Leaner protein
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, ginger, salt, smoked paprika, hot paprika, garlic, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
Place the chicken in a large zipper-top plastic bag. Pour in the marinade and seal, tossing to make sure everything’s well distributed. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 4 and as many as 8 hours.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Thread the chicken pieces tightly onto wooden skewers.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high and generously oil the grates. Grill the skewers until they’re well browned on all sides and center of chicken registers between 160 and 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.