Cheese Cauliflower Quesadillas
Makes 2 servings
1 Lean protein
- 2 cups or 200 oz of grated raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of egg beaters or egg whites (no yolks)
- 6 oz (~1.5 cups) of 2% reduced fat three cheese mexican blend
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of minced fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp of chopped white onions
- 4 tsp of lime juice
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of ground cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or place into the blender (pulse for 10-15 sec) until it’s the size of a piece of rice or smaller.
- Squeeze out excess water from the cauliflower using a cheese cloth.
- Combine grated cauliflower, 1/2 cup of egg whites, and 4 oz (1 cup) of cheese until mixed completely.
- Flatten out the mixture into 4 tortillas about 6″ wide each; the thinner the tortilla, the more evenly these pieces will bake; discard any excess water that’s in your mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes on each side for a total of 30-40 minutes. Helpful tip: Let the tortilla cool for 3 minutes before carefully flipping it over to the other side to bake; this cooling process will keep the tortilla from breaking apart.
- Once the tortillas are fully baked, take out of the oven and let cool for another 2-3 min. Then evenly sprinkle 1 oz (~1/4 cup) of cheese to one tortilla and add the other tortilla on top. Repeat this to generate with the remaining to pieces of tortillas.
- Turn the oven down to 300F, put the quesadillas into the oven for 2-4 min until the cheese is fully melted. Let cool for another 2 min and serve with salsa.
- For the salsa, mince the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Mix these ingredients with the spices and lime juice. Serve with the quesadillas.