Slightly revised from http://www.skinnytaste.com
Makes 4 servings
1 Lean protein
1 ¼ vegetables
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup tomato, chopped
• 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp cilantro
• 1-1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
• 4 oz (1/2 can) Goya tomato sauce
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1-2 bay leaf
• 2 tbsp alcaparrado (capers or green olives would work too)
1. Brown meat on high heat in large sauté pan and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces. When meat is no longer pink, drain all juice from pan.
2. Meanwhile, while meat is cooking, chop onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and cilantro.
3. Add to the meat and continue cooking on a low flame. Add alcaparrado and about 2 tbsp of the brine (the juice from the olives, this adds great flavor) cumin, bay leaf, and more salt if needed. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes.