Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Yield: 4 servings Per serving 1 Leaner protein 1 vegetable 3 condiments 1 fat
• 4 (9 oz) raw chicken boneless skinless chicken breast halves
• 1 Tbsp lime zest
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 4 teaspoons oil
• 2 packets Splenda or Stevia
• 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ tsp Salt
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 3 ounces avocados (ripe but semi-firm), diced
• 1 ½ cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped green onion, rinsed under cool water to remove harsh bite
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• Place chicken on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and pound thicker parts of chicken to an even thickness. Transfer chicken to a gallon size resealable plastic bag.
• In a small mixing bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, splenda, cilantro, 3 cloves minced garlic and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Pour marinade mixture over chicken in bag. Seal bag while pressing air out, then rub marinade over chicken. Allow to rest in refrigerator 2 – 4 hours (rotating bag to opposite side and moving chicken around halfway through if possible to ensure it’s evenly marinating).
• Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (to about 425 – 450 degrees). Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until center registers 160 – 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl toss together avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and lime and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve warm.