Cabbage Roll Soup
Slightly adapted from sugarfreemom.com
Yield: 6 Servings
· 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/2 cup chopped onion (I removed the shallots completely. Both shallots and onions are too high in carbs to be counted as a Green option. I can count them as a condiment; however, there was simply too much with ½ cup of each.)
· 2 ¼ pounds 95-97% lean ground beef
· 1 tsp dried parsley
· 1/2 tsp dried oregano
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 tsp pepper
· 1, 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
· 1/2 head cauliflower or 2 cups riced
· 5 cups beef broth, low sodium
· 1 large cabbage or 8 cups sliced
I definitely recommend sticking to the 2 cup and 8 cup measurements for the cauliflower and cabbage, respectively.
Per serving: 1 leaner, 1 healthy fat, 3 green, and ~3 condiments
1. Heat olive oil and garlic on medium high heat.
2. Add onions and shallots and cook until softened.
3. Add ground beef and cook until browned and no longer pink.
4. Add seasonings to beef and marinara sauce.
5. Add the riced cauliflower to the beef mixture and stir until coated.
6. Pour the beef into the crock pot.
7. Pour beef broth into crock pot and add cabbage.
8. Stir to combine everything.
9. Cook on high 3 hours or low 6 hours. If you don’t have a crock pot, simply cook ground beef in a dutch oven or heavy soup pot, follow recipe and simmer on low, covered for about an hour until cabbage is tender.