Cheesy Mexican Spaghetti Squash
· Per serving: 1 leaner, ~3 green, 3/4 healthy fat*, 3 condiments
· 3 cups zucchini noodles or cooked spaghetti squash
· 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 1/4 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
· ½ cup chopped green scallions
· 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
· 1 tbsp. chili powder
· 1 tbsp. cumin
· 2 tsp. dried oregano
· 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
· 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
· 3/4 c. unsweetened almond or cashew milk
· 1/2 c. reduced fat shredded Cheddar
· 1/2 c. reduced fat shredded pepper jack
*Technically there are only ¾ of a healthy fat serving per person, but that is actually the perfect amount since 3 of the 4 lean proteins in this recipe are “leaner” and 1 of the 4 is a lean (which does not require a healthy fat). Just wanted to clarify.
- Cook spaghetti squash.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken and cook 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add onions and peppers and cook until tender, 4 minutes more. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and stir until coated.
- Add tomatoes and stir, then add chicken broth and almond or cashew milk. Add cooked spaghetti squash to skillet and toss until coated, then add cheeses and stir until creamy.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.