Tomato & Zucchini Tian
Makes 6 servings
1/3 protein serving
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup onion, quartered lengthwise, cut in ¼-inch slices crosswise
1 large garlic clove, very thin slices
1 cup plum tomatoes, ¼-inch slices
¾ pound zucchini, each about 7 inches long, ¼-inch slices on diagonal
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
¼ cup (8 half tablespoons) Parmigiano Reggiano
2 cups shredded cheese, of choice, I used ½ low fat Monterey Jack, ½ low fat cheddar
1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
¼ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in sauté pan big enough to hold sliced onions. Cook on medium low until softened and starting to brown. May take 30-45 minutes. Add garlic slices and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Spread onions on bottom of 8×8-inch glass baking dish. Dust with Kosher salt and 2 tablespoons Parmigiano.
4. Mix minced garlic, rosemary and thyme together in a small bowl.
5. Holding the dish at a 45 degree angle, higher end near you, and starting at the far side of the dish, create a row of slightly overlapping zucchini slices that are standing on edge. Sprinkle row with about 1 teaspoon of minced garlic mixture and ½ tablespoon Parmigiano. Lightly dust with salt and pepper.
6. Add a row of slightly overlapping tomato slices, sprinkle with garlic mixture and Parmigiano. Continue adding alternating rows of zucchini and tomatoes in this manner until dish is full. Try to end with a tomato row. I ended up with 8 rows.
7. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the center of oven for 40 minutes.
8. Remove aluminum foil and sprinkle shredded cheeses evenly over rows. Sprinkle 1/3 cup Parmigiano over shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for additional 30 minutes until shredded cheese is melted and golden.
Note: Recipe may be doubled to fit in a 9×13 dish.