Hungarian Beef Stew
Makes 8 servings
1 Lean protein
1 ¼ vegetables
• One 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
• 1/4 tsp Salt
• ⅓ cup sweet paprika – buy fresh for this dish
• One 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 3 teaspoons white vinegar
• Non-stick pan spray
• 3 cup leeks, diced
• ½ tsp Sea salt
· ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ cup beef broth
• 2 Tbs low fat sour cream
1. Process paprika, roasted peppers, tomato paste, and vinegar in food processor until smooth and creamy.
2. Cook leeks with non-stick spray in large Dutch oven over medium high heat; stirring occasionally, until onions soften.
3. Stir in paprika mixture, add bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add beef and stir until well coated. Scrape down sides of pot, cover and adjust heat to low simmer. Cook until meat is almost tender, 2 to 2½ hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Add beef broth and continue to cook until fork slips easily in and out of beef, about 30 minutes longer.
4. Remove from heat, skim fat from surface; remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, serve hot. Serve with dollop of sour cream.