Cabbage Roll Stew
Makes 8 servings
½ Lean protein
2 ½ condiments
• 1 cup leeks, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• non-stick pan spray
• 1 1/4 pounds ’meatloaf mix’ beef-pork combination
• 2 tablespoons regular or ‘sweet’ paprika (not smoked or hot varieties)
• One 28 ounce can no sugar added tomato sauce
• One 32 ounce carton chicken broth
• 2 cups green cabbage, core removed and sliced
• ½ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
• 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained
• ½ cup low fat plain greek yogurt for garnish
1. Sauté the leeks and garlic with non-stick spray in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until very soft and tender.
2. Add the meat and cook until well browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon and add paprika.
3. Add the tomato sauce, broth and cabbage. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is very tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
4. Add the sauerkraut and cook an additional 20 minutes.
5. Season with salt if needed and black pepper to taste.
6. Ladle into bowls and serve with greek yogurt as garnish.