Spaghetti Squash Pie
Slightly adapted from http://www.thinksmybellylikes.com
Makes 4 servings
¾ protein serving
1 ½ vegetable serving
16 oz ground beef
¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 large spaghetti squash, de-seeded – use 2 cups cooked squash
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon butter
Non-stick pan spray
- Spray the spaghetti squash flesh with olive oil (non-stick spray) and place, flesh side down, in a baking tray. Roast at 400 for 25 minutes until soft. Scoop out the ribbons of squash and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until the onion colours. Stir in the mushrooms. Add the beef to the pan – breaking it up with a spoon. Season well.
- When the beef has browned, stir in the tomato and cook until it starts to disintegrate and the beef is cooked through. Stir in the basil leaves and remove from the heat.
- Pour the beef mixture into a medium casserole dish. Layer with squash ribbons and top it off with an even layer of cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes and serve immediately.