Minty Cucumber Salad with Lime Dressing
Makes 4 servings
¾ fat serving
½ optional snack
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1 packet Splenda or Stevia
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
• 3/4 pound seedless peeled and sliced
• ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup cilantro leaves
• ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
• 1 ounce shelled, roasted, unsalted peanuts
1. In a small bowl or a jar with a tightly fitting lid, combine lime juice, rice vinegar, sweetener, and salt. Add olive oil and whisk or shake vigorously until well combined.
2. Add red onion and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, toss cucumbers, bell pepper, cilantro, mint, and peanuts.
4. Add dressing and mix well.
Thai Peanut Zoodles
Slightly revised from our best bites
Makes 4 servings
½ optional snack
1/2 fat serving
2 large zucchini (about 12 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chicken broth
3 tablespoons PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
1/2 teaspoon creamy peanut butter
1 packet Splenda or Stevia
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil (I recommend this Lime Olive Oil)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
2 green onions, chopped
handful of cilantro to taste (about 1/4 cup, more if desired)
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
Run your zucchini through a Spiralizer to form noodles. Place zucchini in a large mesh strainer over a bowl or the sink and toss with a sprinkling of kosher salt. Let sit for 30-60 minutes, till much of the liquid is extracted. Press zucchini with a few paper towels to absorb any excess.
Place chicken broth, powdered peanut butter, regular peanut butter, Stevia and soy sauce in a very small sauce pan and whisk to combine. Set aside for a moment.
Heat an extra large skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant. Add zucchini noodles and toss often with tongs for 2-3 minutes.
While zucchini is cooking, turn heat on peanut butter sauce. Heat until simmering, constantly stirring, until hot and bubbly. Mixture should thicken within a minute or so. Set aside. When noodles are tender-crisp, add peanut sauce and toss to combine. Add green onions and cilantro and toss well. Serve immediately and squeeze a fresh lime wedge over each serving. Top with nuts and additional green onions and cilantro if desired.
Serve with Protein such as chicken breast.
Cheesy Cauli Breadsticks
Makes 2 servings
per serving- 1/2 lean, 2 greens, 2 condiments
– 1/2 head cauliflower, riced
– 1/4 cup shredded Reduced fat mozzarella cheese
– 1/4 cup shaved Reduced fat parmesan cheese
– 1 large egg
– 1/4 tbsp minced garlic
– 1/4 tbsp chopped basil
– 1/4 tbsp Italian seasoning
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup shredded Reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In large bowl, mix riced cauliflower, 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup shaved reduced fat parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 tbsp minced garlic, 1/4 tbsp chopped basil, 1/4 tbsp Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper to taste until combined and holds together.
3. Place the mixture onto the parchment pined baking sheet and spread out into rectangle about 9×7″ and 1/4″ thick.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1/2 cup shredded Reduced fat mozzarella cheese and return to oven to continue baking until cheese is melted and starting to turn brown. Cool about 10 minutes and cut into “breadsticks”.
SUNDAY BRUNCH BAKE
One Serving Provides: ~1 lean, 1/2 green, and 2 condiments
6 eggs Eggs, Whole
1 cup Morningstar Grillers Recipe Crumbles
1/2 cup Raw Mushrooms, Portabella
1/2 cup Raw Tomatoes
4 oz Cheese, cheddar, reduced fat, shredded
1/3 cup Raw Onion
5 sprays Non-stick Cooking Spray
3 Tbsp. Plain low-fat Greek Yogurt
1. Prep the ingredients: Chop the mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes.
2. Beat eggs and Greek yogurt with whisk until well blended.
3. Pour mixture into greased 8×8” baking dish.
4. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, until egg mixture is softly set.
5. Meanwhile, cook recipe crumbles, mushrooms, and onions in large skillet on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until crumbles are done. Stir occasionally.
6. Drain once cooked.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
8. Spoon tomatoes over egg layer. Cover with recipe crumbles mixture and cheese.
9. Bake 30 minutes until center is set.
Egg Salad Wrap
Slightly modified from divadicucina.com
Makes 2 servings and per serving you receive:
1 leaner protein
1 healthy fat
4 eggs & 8 egg whites
½ cup celery
1 tablespoon green onions
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ tablespoon light mayo
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 cup lettuce
2 slices of turkey bacon
1 ½ oz avocado
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs, celery, green onions, salt, pepper, mayo, and mustard.
- On each piece of lettuce place 2 strips of bacon.
- Top the bacon with a spoonful of the egg salad and a couple of the avocado slices.
- Grab a napkin and enjoy!
Carb Free Bread Loaf
Makes 4 servings
1 Leaner protein
• 6 eggs, separated
• 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
• 4 ounces sour cream
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup whey protein powder (I used Jay Robb’s vanilla)
1. Preheat oven at 300 degrees F.
2. Place your egg whites in a stand mixer with the cream of tartar and whip until stiff peaks. Set aside.
3. Place the egg yolks in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
4. Fold in a small amount of egg whites into the yolk mixture a little at a time until it’s all incorporated.
5. Pour this into a greased loaf pan.
6. Bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer stick in the center comes out clean. (See notes above if you are making rolls, cooking time changes.)
7. Allow to cool before removing and slicing.
8. Best if toasted.
9. Keep refrigerated.
Italian-Style Cole Slaw
Slightly revised from sugarfreemom.com
Makes 7 servings and per serving you receive:
· 3 greens
· 1 healthy fat
· 3 condiments
· 10 ½ cups shredded cabbage
· 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1/2 cup white vinegar
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
· 4 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Place the shredded cabbage into a large bowl.
2. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together.
3. Pour dressing over the cabbage and stir until all combined.
4. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
5. Refrigerate until chilled.
6. When ready to serve squeeze the lemon juice over the top and toss once more before serving.
Roasted Cabbage Wedges
4 Servings with each serving being 3 greens – 2 healthy fats – 2 condiments
- Large green cabbage (about 2-3lbs)
- 1 TB. garlic-infused olive oil (or regular olive oil)
- salt & pepper
- 1-1/2 TB. butter
- 2 TB. minced fresh onion
- 1 TB. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- pinch (1/2 tsp.) each salt and pepper
- optional: chopped chives or parsley for serving
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone.
- Cut cabbage half into four equal wedges and set on prepared baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to coat the cut side of each wedge with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn wedges and repeat.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes. Flip the wedges and roast until nicely browned, 8-10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by adding all the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the butter is completely melted. Keep warm (alternately, place ingredients in a microwavable container and cook on high for about 1 minute – warm again before using).
- To serve, place the wedges on a plate and drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle with chives or parsley, if desired.
Spicy Mexican Slaw with Lime and Cilantro
slightly adapted from kaylinskitchen.com
Makes 6 servings
1 fat serving
4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
(You can use all green or all red cabbage.)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
6 T reduced fat mayonnaise
3 T fresh lime juice; more or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon Green Tabasco sauce
½ teaspoon Vege-Sal
In small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together, mayo, lime juice, and hot sauce. (Start with less than the full amount of lime juice and hot sauce and keep adding until you have the desired blend of sour/hot flavor.)
Thinly slice cabbage, using a mandoline slicer if you have one. Slice green onions, and wash, dry and chop cilantro. (I use a Mini salad spinner to wash herbs and spin them dry.) Combine cabbage, green onions and cilantro in large salad bowl.
Use a wooden spoon to mix dressing into cabbage mixture. Season to taste with salt and serve immediately, or chill for a few hours.
This salad will keep well overnight in the refrigerator, but the lime juice will cause the red cabbage to bleed color and turn the salad slightly pink. If you’re making extra you might want to use all green cabbage, although I didn’t mind the pink color at all when I ate the leftovers! Another good strategy if you’re not cooking for many people is to chop the cabbage and green onion and mix the dressing for the full amount and store in the fridge, then chop cilantro and stir salad together in smaller amounts as you’re going to eat it.